About Me

My photo
Nothing much about me. I am a typical Aries gal, who likes to work hard and play hard... Well... Always try to be Optimistic...

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My Hammies.....

I have 5 Syrian Hamsters at home. At first, I only bought 2 hamsters (Female and Male) and my mom named them "Kangkang" & "Yanyan". They were very lovely together. Soon after they gave birth to 6 lovely babies. However, one of them couldn't make it, and left the parents and the siblings, after struggling for 1 wk. By then, I couldn't tell if it's a male or female hammy. So sad...

Days by days, they grew bigger, then I could tell which is male and female, and they started to have their individual unique look.

But, I caused one of them to become abnormal. I placed cotton wool, thought of keeping the babies warm, but one of the hamster's front leg got tangled by the cotton wool, slowly the hand became paralysed. I saw Yanyan tried to lick to wound of her baby's leg. The baby's hand couldn't grow normally, because the blood couldn't flow through. Eventually, the hand fell off. So it was left with only 3 legs. But thanks to Yanyan, as a mother, she already did a very good job of taking care of her own babies, especially when she did not give up the abnormal baby.

Weeks by weeks, I gave away 2 baby hamsters to my friend. Months later, receieved good news from her, the 2 hamsters gave birth to 3 little ones. Lol, Kangkang and Yanyan became grandparents. But, afterall they are beast, so... you know!!!... Heard that the babies are healthy... Good....

When the 3 legged hamster grew up, I have to separate him with the Mother and the sisters, because afraid they'll breed again. Which I don't like, because afterall, they're siblings and Mother (worse), moreover, I won't want more hamsters, for the time being. I tried to put the 3 legged hamster with Kangkang (already separated ever since their babies were given birth). But scared Kangkang will bite him, so I put it back into Yanyan's cage. BUT....... HORROR.... Yanyan sniffed him and felt threatened by Kangkang's odour on 3 legged hamster, then she BIT him. He bleed, but I managed to stop the bleeding after few wash of his wound. OMG, I caused him to injured again. Days latr, still see his wound not cure, I took him to the vet. I applied medicine for him everyday, and he slowly grew healthy again. Went through so much toughness, still can survive, I named him "JianQiang" = Strong. Oh ya, he's all white, pure white, the eyes aren't black, but red. I guess he's suffering from a illness called Albino. Poor him. The more attention shall be given to him.

The other 2 female babies, I named them "Xiongxiong and Bambi". Xiongxiong = bear, because she's white with a bit of grey and looks like a bear, when young. So cute.. Bambi was because, she's brown in color, and looks like a deer. Bambi is a cartoon character, which is a deer, so I named her that.

Total, I have 5 hamsters at home. Cute, but when comes to change their cages, they drenched out all my energies... hahaha...

to be continued.....